First, go get your colors!! Hot Fuscia, Bright Yellow, and Turquoise are good starter colors, then make your own secondary colors of orange, green, and purple by mixing.
1. Wash a 100 percent cotton T-shirt.
2. Place the wet shirt flat on the work surface.
3. Tie knots in the T-shirt, or twist it and secure the folds with rubber bands or heavy-duty thread.
4. Mix 1/2 c. liquid dye (or 1 package powdered dye) in 1 qt. hot water. Dissolve 5 tbsp. table salt in the mixture.
5. Let the mixture cool to room temperature.
6. Put the entire shirt in the dye and let it soak for at least 20 minutes.
7. Rinse the shirt in cold water until the water runs clear.
8. Undo the knots and rinse the shirt again.
9. Hang the shirt to dry, out of the sun.